Monday 22 October 2012

Classic Fairy Tales

This book was one of many withdrawn from our library over the last 6 months. It's fate was sealed due to it's lack of movement and the amount of notes some considerate student had made over several of the pages. I was drawn to it because of it's numerous and varied illustrations which immediately brought to mind the work of artists such as Alexander Korzer-Robinson  and so I saved it from the recycling bin. 

I make no claim for originality here, these cut away books have been made better and bigger than this one, certainly it is nowhere near as intricate as Korzer-Robinson's creations. However the process was fun and educational  - I'd never realised before just how tough hardback covers are, it's a miracle I didn't do myself injury hacking away at it.  I think I'm either going to have to make some friends in the construction department or add an electric saw to my Christmas list if I want to do another one of these.



With hindsight I made several mistakes. I discarded too many illustrations, (and more importantly threw them away before I had seen the finished item) and then made the front window to big. The cover is also a bit of a hack job, mainly because I was too impatient to find the proper tools. It is also lacking depth because many of the illustrations I kept were from the back of the book. However making it was fun and although I won't be attempting another in a hurry it was a fairly satisfying process.



No comments:

Post a Comment